60-second Mug Cake Recipe🤔😍
Updated: Apr 7
You may be here following my Instagram Live I ran on Sunday, April 5th, if so welcome. If you don't have me on Instagram (follow @evidencenutrition) or if you don't have Instagram at all and have no idea what I'm talking about. I introduced the world to my super-rich mug cake. Anyways, back to the story behind why I came up with this, since I probably didn't explain that very well on the IG Live Story.
A few weeks ago, one of my clients mentioned that there were store-bought mug cakes available for purchase in the baking aisle at the grocery store. I had already been sitting on this recipe and was having all of my friends try this recipe when they visited. Ideal times for me were if I had company were over for dinner or a get-together, and I didn't have anything sweet to offer. So I came up with a Mug-cake. Why a mug-cake? Well, I don't promote any fad diets and implore people to eat in moderation. What better way to implement moderation than to allow you to eat as much as you want until the mug runs out. It is genius! Moderates your intake and are customizable no matter what your dietary restrictions are. Fast forward this past week, I'm walking through the grocery store looking for the yeast to try and make bread, and it's all gone! I couldn't believe it, but I saw in the corner of my eye the packaging for a large name brand's version of the mug cake. So I spend over 2 dollars on the packaged mug cake. Worst 2 dollars I've ever spent. Not only is that a very high markup, but it's so easy, and I knew I had a better recipe sitting on my computer at home. Here is the recipe, it will take you no time at all and is a very rich chocolate mug cake. Feel free to tag me on socials @EvidenceNutrition if you're trying to make this recipe.
Things to consider:
don’t stress inaccurate measurements, nothing bad will happen
This recipe is very substitutable.
- I.e. you can make it gluten-free by substituting coconut flour for regular all-purpose flour
- you can make it vegan by subbing any nut milk
- you can make it nut-free by subbing oat/soy milk
- you can make it non-vegan, non-gluten free if you’re against veganism.. regular milk, butter, and all… but that's usually a bit higher in calories
- you can substitute stevia for granulated sugar for no sugar or less sugar.
3. it should take you about 4-5 minutes in total including the setup time
4. fill that sweet tooth, with a really rich healthy portioned cake… in a mug.
5. top it with whatever you want, I prefer berries more than anything
Mug Cake Recipe:
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp sweeter
1/4tsp baking powder
1/8th tsp teaspoon salt
1tbsp vegetable/coconut oil
3 tbsp milk
1-2 handful(s) semi-sweet chocolate chips galore/ vegan chocolate chips
Add all dry ingredients into a mug of your choice.
stir until combined
Stir in oil, and milk of choice until smooth.
add semi-sweet chocolate chips/vegan chocolate chips
Microwave the mug for 60 seconds on HIGH
Remove and top with desired fruit/other toppings.
Enjoy while it's warm