I'd like to start by saying, I hope everyone is keeping safe during this unprecedented time in history. Take all of the necessary precautions to keep you and your loved ones safe. In this time, it's also important to still continue to eat clean so you can hit the goals you set for yourself at the beginning of the year. Getting in shape starts with what goes into your body, so I'm sending out this quick and easy recipe to hopefully help you gain some confidence in your skills in the kitchen, and help you think creatively about what "healthy" looks like to you. Enjoy!
You know the story. You have 1 hour, and in the allotted time you need to eat, tidy up behind yourself (and maybe your whole family), walk your dog, fold your laundry etc. What do you normally do? Eat out. Now, old you would've been okay with this. Maybe you go out and you're feeling good, you've been exercising and you go with a "healthier" option in order to help fuel your body. That healthier option means you have to drive out, and wait for them to make your bowl/ salad which usually takes around 20 minutes time or more, and costs you around $13-$18. Let's face it, that's a ton of money, and that's still a reasonable amount of lost time. It is no surprise, then, that when you are constantly exposed to this environment, that you start to opt for cheaper, more convenient options which in most cases ends up being a far higher calorie, and less satisfying option. I'm not saying that UberEats or PostMates isn't convenient, I'm just saying that with a little bit of elbow grease, I think, no. I KNOW you can do better in a similar amount of time. Meet the high protein, super filling, convenient AND extremely delicious option to substitute into your week. Break up your habits withThe Fajita Bowl.
What you'll need (2 servings):
1 cup Rice
1-2 Bell Peppers (the colours are your choice- but if this is for Instagram, the more colour the better), julienne sliced (thinly sliced)
1/2 white onion (red onion will suffice), chopped rough
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
3-4 white mushrooms, sliced thin
frozen vegetable mix (i.e. carrots, corn, peas mix)
1 can of Black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup of lentils
seasonings: turmeric, salt, pepper, cumin, your favourite Mrs Dash Seasoning (if desired: chile/cayenne pepper)
Optional: a rice cooker.
(If you're baking chicken breast, or making any other meats. Feel free to make them separate, then add them in step 7-- if you are using meat, now is the time to think about how you'll be making them)
1. Take your rice and "Clean it off" aka rinse it off until the water runs clear. This is done to make rice less sticky/starchy.
2. Add frozen vegetable medley to the rice, 1 cup of water, and all your desired seasonings listed above(for yellow rice, don't forget either turmeric or saffron).
3. Turn on Rice cooker and leave off to the side. If you don't have a rice cooker, cook on low-medium heat until all water has evaporated, then fluff with a fork.
4. Meanwhile, in a pan, sauté onions, garlic, bell pepper until soft.
5. Add mushrooms and sauté for additional 3-4 minutes
6. Add salt, pepper and cumin, to taste.
7. Mix in drained black beans and if desired, any (pre-cooked) meats to the mixture)
8. Serve hot, on a bed of rice and enjoy!