It's that season. JUST IN TIME FOR THE BBQing HOLIDAYS! The weather has turned around, and that means... BARBECUE TIME (BBQSZN as the young kids call it)! It's that time where we spend as much time as we can basking in the sun, so much so that we even take the cooking outdoors. If you're lucky you can spend this time with your loved ones! One part about BBQ season that I don't love (if I had to pick one thing) it's the meat sweats (ew gross, I know). The most commonly grilled items include chicken, beef burgers, steaks, etc. Rarely do people mix it up. While I could just come on here and tell you to GRILL MORE VEGETABLES! There are some people that still just won't willingly grab the vegetables and add them to their skewers, etc. So instead, what if I brought to you a VEGAN burger that is made entirely of plant-based products that are more fibrous and a great healthy alternative to burgers. It is shockingly satiating, fibrous, and best of all, none of your family members will expect a thing when you hand them this instead of the beef burger they thought they would get! It's THAT good. Just in time for Canada Day (July 1st) and 4th of July (for all of my U.S followers)! Without further ado, let's get into the recipe.
**DISCLAIMER** I made a video but lost most of the footage, and all of the audio, so while I might include some of the audio-free clips just to give you an idea of the processes, I will DEFINITELY be remaking this video in the future. So very sorry about this!
Easy Vegan Black Bean Burger Recipe
(Recipe makes ~6 Vegan burgers~)
1 can of black beans, mashed
1 tbsp chia seeds with 2.5 tbsp water (chia egg) (substitute real egg is fine)
½ yellow/white onion, diced
(optional) 3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped/crushed
1 cup oats, blended to make oat flour
1 medium carrot, shredded using a grater
(optional for spice lovers) 1 tsp of Chili flakes
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Form the chia egg by combining 2.5 tbsp water with 1tbsp chia seeds, and let it sit for 5-7 minutes in the fridge to form the egg.
2. Heat a medium-large-sized pan on medium-high heat with 1/2 tbsp avocado/olive/coconut oil.
3. Combine diced onions, shredded carrots, garlic in the pan and sauté until slightly browned, and an amazing aroma fills the room or about 5 minutes.
4. Add Cumin, chili flakes, paprika, and mix until combined, saute for 2-3 more minutes until slightly browned.
5. In a large bowl, mash the black beans
6. Add BBQ sauce and mix to form a paste.
6. Mix sautéed veggies, oat flour, walnuts into black bean/BBQ paste.
7. Add Chia egg and fold over until combined.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Wet your hands and use them to form patties the size of your buns, should make ~6 burgers.
10. Cook on medium high heat (or around 400F on the BBQ) for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown
11. Flip the patty over and cook the other side 2-4 minutes, remove when golden brown.
12. Enjoy with whatever toppings you'd like :)
Let me know what you think of the burgers, and if you decide to try the recipe out, DONT FORGET TO TAG ME ON SOCIALS 😍
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0nHVLyYC5k (link to the video on how I cook the formed patties)